Apps on macOS are normally well-behaved, however there are occasions once they can cease working or freeze and decelerate your whole Mac. If that occurs to you (and it’d occur usually should you’re enjoying with the most recent Monterey betas), it’s time to stop the app.
The very first thing to do, in fact, is attempt to stop the app usually:
- Proper-click on the app’s icon within the menu bar and choose “Stop,” or…
- Press the Command-Q keys.
Nevertheless, if the app is frozen or simply received’t go away, then it’s essential to pressure a stop. Once more, there are a few methods to do that:
- Click on on the Apple icon within the top-left nook and search for a selection that claims “Drive Stop” or…
- Press Command-Possibility-Esc.
Both approach, it will carry up the “Drive Stop Purposes” field, which could have a listing of at the moment energetic apps. Spotlight the troublesome app, and click on on the “Drive Stop” button. A pop-up will ask should you’re certain; click on on “Drive Stop” to lastly stop the app.
If for any motive you possibly can’t entry the “Drive Stop” menu, there’s one other option to stop the app utilizing the Exercise Monitor, which lists all the energetic processes in your Mac. To get to the Exercise Monitor:
- Use Highlight Search to search out “Exercise Monitor,” or…
- In your Finder, click on on Purposes within the left-hand menu. Within the ensuing record of apps, double-click on Utilities to open the folder, after which double-click on Exercise Monitor.
- You’ll see a listing of energetic processes, which ought to embody your misbehaving app. It’s going to be an extended record, so you possibly can click on on the “Course of Title” heading to alphabetize the record for a better discover. For those who suspect that the app is stressing your CPU, you may strive clicking on the “% CPU” heading, which can put the app on the prime of the record.
- Spotlight the app you need to stop, and click on on the “x” icon on the prime of the window.
- Click on on “Drive Stop.”
And should you’re nonetheless having difficulties, you possibly can all the time shut down your system. You might lose a few of what you’re at the moment engaged on, however it would shut the app that’s driving you nuts.
- Maintain down your energy button (or the Contact ID button in case your Mac has a Contact Bar) till you see the Apple emblem in your show.
- Let go, and permit the system to restart.